Keep your wiring up to date.
Faulty wiring in our homes could increase the risk of a fire. The older our homes are, the higher the risk is. Outdated wires are not only a safety concern, but they could also cost us our insurance. How so? If our wiring system is outdated, our insurance carriers may refuse to insure our homes. If they were to insure the home, they may make you pay a higher premium. How can we tell if we have outdated wires in our home? Here are a few ways we might be able to tell.
- Flickering or dimming lights.
- We find that fuses are blown regularly.
- We notice a burning smell from a certain outlet or room.
- Outlets that are warm to the touch
- You notice a tingling sensation when you touch a certain wall or outlet.
- There are discolored outlets or switch plates.
- You have not updated to GFCI outlets in areas there may be increased moisture. These areas may include our kitchens, or the bathrooms.
- Our homes are 40 years old or older.
Another large concern is aluminum wiring. Aluminum wires are considered a hazard because they could loosen in time. House Logic says, “Tiny gaps between the wiring and connectors may lead to overheating and possibly fires, especially when appliances and lighting fixtures are plugged into them. The addition of copper connectors….at circuit breakers and receptacles usually resolve potential problems.” It is best to have a certified electrician inspect your home’s wiring to see if they’re in good condition.
Don’t trust just any electrician in your home. Riverside Electrical has over 25 years of experience in industrial, commercial and residential wiring. We were established in 1989 and have continued to guarantee amazing service. Our clients continue to call us back because we are responsive, honest, and qualified. Don’t wait till it’s too late! Give Riverside Electrical a call today at (951) 785-9531.